Wednesday, October 14, 2009

African Centre for Cities-UCT




The ACC at UCT employed me to illustrate Chapters in their new Journal called Counter Currents. This I did and these are some results.

I was invited to present my work at a conference run by the same Faculty and part of my general rationale was the urge to speak about a certain type of photography's ability to encapsulate the 'everyday and the epic'. This idea is not mine, but comes from a book which influenced me deeply called 'The Epic and the Everyday'. I found the book at a used bookstore recently and let out a small sound indicating delight...FnA!

Another speaker at the conference asked me if my argument was not a bit binary. Well of course it is, the implication being that the photos include what falls between the outer markers.

The 3 shots are from:

1. Mitchell's Plain-a poor area on the 'Cape Flats' where 'Colored' people stay
2. The border of 'Kosovo' in an area called Phillipi in the informal settlements
3. The 'Parade' in Cape Town's CBD

No comments: