Thursday, January 13, 2011

Denzel Willemse wanted what I have


On the dug-up, frayed edges of a wilting, forgotten town called Wepener I encountered this gentleman. He was driving in circles of ever decreasing size around my car whose boot was open to reveal mountains of road trip paraphernalia and over-designed German camera equipment. Finally Denzel and his mate stop suddenly and his friend says, 'Do you have drink?' 'No, I just have water' 'Give it to me'.

The driver snatches the bottle, downs my water(the weather is scorching) and tosses the large 2l bottle onto the dug-up, frayed, forgotten edge road of Wepener.

I ask DW if I can make a photograph of him and he says yes, but before he steps out of the car he makes a quick call. I set up the camera and as if by magic a second shoddy taxi appears carrying two equally dodgy men in the front with Okapis on then brain.

'Are you travelling alone?' asks DW. 'No, I have my dog Cressida.' I whistle loudly and Cressida come sprinting down the dug-up, frayed, forgotten edge road of Wepener.

'Have this nectarine before you go'

3 comments:

the sloth said...

Cressida the hero hound. It's an interesting picture too.

Anonymous said...

but who left with the nectarine?

Anonymous said...

Denzel left with the nectarine claiming fruitarianism.