Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Books


I taught some kids at the AAA school of Advertising yesterday and the topic was photographer's book, or 'photobooks' as the the genus seems to have been renamed. I crated some corkers of my own to illustrate some opinions and I think I made an impression not least because I swore occasionally.

During the course of the talk I deduced that it's vital to have a printed dummy asap because the hard copy is obviously way more explicit in terms of fuctionality in the hand than a fancy InDesign document.

Gerry Badger, the dude who wrote the text for the aforementioned book, claims that originally there was no emphasis on photo exhibitions so books were the collective animal for photos and they were lodged in archives and museums. He says that this history of photos should be distinguished from established 'formalist' and 'technical' and appreciations of the medium's history.

Here is a good blog which reviews photobooks.

I particularly like the look of the book called 'nerves'.

No comments: